Quantcast

[cf-lattice] redundant components

Daniel Watrous
Hi,

On the main docs page (http://lattice.cf/docs/) I read:

"If you need to set up a productionized deployment of Lattice you will need to be sure to make all the components redundant"

Are there any docs about how to do this?

Daniel

Re: [cf-lattice] redundant components

Marco Nicosia
Hi Daniel,

I am sorry, that sentence is misleading, thank you for pointing it out. We haven't got any docs on making Lattice production-ready. I'll fix that FAQ soon.

Right now, Lattice is entirely meant to be an experimental platform. That doesn't mean we'll never expand that scope, but for now, everything about Lattice is non-redundant, single-user, and assumes very little security.

The goal of Lattice today is to give access to new features (such as Diego's receptor API) with absolute minimum barrier to install and use, so we eschew any complexity wherever possible.

If you want all of the high availability, security and multi-tenancy possible from these components, for now, your best avenue is to investigate Cloud Foundry.

--
  Marco Nicosia
  Product Manager

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 10:03 PM, Daniel Watrous <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On the main docs page (http://lattice.cf/docs/) I read:

"If you need to set up a productionized deployment of Lattice you will need to be sure to make all the components redundant"

Are there any docs about how to do this?

Daniel

Re: [cf-lattice] redundant components

Daniel Watrous
I have done quite a bit of work with CloudFoundry, but I'm very turned off by bosh and can't deploy to my preferred provider: digitalocean. Lattice looked like a way to get me there and I have successfully used terraform to create a cluster there.

At the cloudfoundry summit a few weeks ago I probed a little to see if there was any work to get away from bosh and use something like Ansible to deploy cloudfoundry, but there Pivotal's pretty heavily invested there, even if they do conceal bosh from most of their clients.

Thanks for the clarification.

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 12:10 AM, Marco Nicosia <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

  c: <a href="tel:650-796-2948" value="+16507962948" target="_blank">650-796-2948

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 10:03 PM, Daniel Watrous <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On the main docs page (http://lattice.cf/docs/) I read:

"If you need to set up a productionized deployment of Lattice you will need to be sure to make all the components redundant"

Are there any docs about how to do this?

Daniel

Re: [cf-lattice] redundant components

Marco Nicosia
Daniel,

You make some great points.

In fact, the software components deployed by Lattice are designed to be redundant and highly available. It's just that the Lattice team hasn't written installation scripts that configure them in an HA deployment pattern.

While it's not a current priority for the Lattice dev team, we'd very definitely welcome any contributions that attempt an HA configuration. (Just as we did for the OpenStack module.)

I've written a story to document each of the components that are currently deployed as singletons, but do support HA configuration: https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/96223472

We'll scope and prioritize the story next week as part of our weekly planning cycle.

Let's continue this conversation here on the community mailing list. I'd love to know your thoughts.

--
  Marco Nicosia
  Product Manager

--
  Marco Nicosia
  Product Manager

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 10:15 PM, Daniel Watrous <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Juan Pablo Genovese
Marco,

is there any example out there we could use to experiment a little?
If possible, I would love to contribute to get Lattice into a production ready software.

Thanks!

JP

[...]

Mis mejores deseos,
Best wishes,
Meilleurs vœux,

Juan Pablo

Re: [cf-lattice] redundant components

Juan Pablo Genovese
Marco,

nevermind. I just found the OpenStack Terraform module. I'll see if I can get something from that, play a little with, maybe, AWS.

Thanks!

http://www.jpgenovese.com

--
Mis mejores deseos,
Best wishes,

Juan Pablo

Re: [cf-lattice] redundant components

Daniel Watrous
I think the first step would be to identify how to manually add redundancy to each component. The terraform scripts for digitalocean (perhaps others) already support deploying multiple cells, so the DEA is redundant. It seems the next step would be to make the router redundant.

I'll poke around a bit, but any hints about how to start a new router and join it to the cluster would be great.