[cf-lattice] Manual cluster deployment for lattice

[cf-lattice] Manual cluster deployment for lattice

John Boone

Hi all,

We’re investigating using lattice to deploy a cluster on bare-metal machines. I’ve noticed the documentation at http://lattice.cf/docs/manual-install/ mentions clustered deployment instructions will come in a future release. I’m interested in using this installation path to fulfill our goals. Is this something being actively worked on? Can I help in some way?

I’ve also noticed a script within the github repository called “terraform/scripts/remote/install-from-tar” which takes brain, cell or collocated as parameters. If I can use this script in some way to create a brain on one machine and a cell on another, that might work as well. Does anyone have any idea how I would do that?

Thanks!

-John

-- Matt

[cf-lattice] Re: Re: Manual cluster deployment for lattice

David Wadden
John,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you.  These instructions no longer work with how we're building as of Lattice v0.6.0.  We have moved the majority of the components into the base image (as of now, AMI or vagrant box) and "temporarily" broke support for platforms that don't support base images.

We're looking to restore functionality to DigitalOcean and other platforms that allow private base images (requires do-it-yourself snapshot baking) at some point soon, but at present, we do not have Lattice "manual install"  scheduled.

I'm curious what about the "manual install" is attractive to you.

- Do we not presently support your IaaS (presumably with base image support)?
  - Are you running Lattice without access to an IaaS?
- Do you have alternate requirements for operating system?
  - Garden-Linux requires kernel 3.19.0 which limits distro choices
- Do you require performance gains of "bare-metal" install ?

We would encourage you to open a Github issue to engage us in a longer conversation if you were interested in contributing this feature and find out whether there's similar interest from the community.  It should be technically feasible to use the packer null builder to install Lattice to pre-provisioned servers via SSH.

Regards,
David