[cf-lattice] Announcing Lattice v0.2.5

Marco Nicosia
On behalf of the Lattice team, I am pleased to announce v0.2.5 of Lattice!

Originally an optimization release, we delayed a few weeks to sneak in some exciting features. Here's the mundane stuff first: We've updated the base OS images to Ubuntu-trusty-64 14.04.2 and simplified Vagrant and AWS provisioning. We've also updated to support Terraform 0.5 and up.

The release includes two new interesting features: First, You can now specify a URL to monitor when creating an app, rather than relying on the standard port health check. You can also set a timeout to make sure your app isn't judged unhealthy when it's really just a little slow. We love all our apps just the same.

Second, we've updated the `ltc` command line tool to expose Diego's Task functionality. We haven't built any fancy UI around this, you'll have to feed the CLI a JSON file to make it work. Tasks enable a whole different world of use cases - they are one-off work that are guaranteed to run at most once.

Also, in Lattice v0.2.5, we're introducing a community-contributed OpenStack module for Terraform. We're super thankful to the contributors, and are very interested to hear your experiences. One caveat: Because OpenStack is kind of "supermorphic," we haven't set up a continuous integration pipeline to make sure that module changes don't break functionality. So we're marking this feature as community supported, and hope that OpenStack support can grow more sophisticated over time. We're looking forward to your contributions.

Finally, we've unified the lattice website documentation with the GitHub documentation. Now you can open issues (and hopefully PRs) against our documentation, and the website will reflect those changes, too.

We're humbled and pleased by the amount of community activity, and have been doing our best to make sure you all feel the love. One quick reminder: Please make sure to fork Develop, not Master, or we'll have to ask you to rebase. The Master branch is the result of a successful continuous integration run. Develop is where we introduce new code and the concomitant tests.

A lot more went into this release, for full release notes, please check out:

Nota Bene: It's really great that all of this has been the work of just a single pair. Part of the Pivotal Way is that team members frequently rotate projects in order to cross-pollinate domain knowledge as well as expand their breadth of skills. This week, the team says goodbye to KL, who has been a pleasure to work with. Thanks for everything, we're sad to see you go!

As always:
    - If you think you've found a bug, please file a github issue
    - If you have a contribution, we'd be happy to give you feedback via a Pull Request
    - You can track our prioritized queue of work at: http://bit.ly/lattice-tracker

--
  Marco Nicosia
  Product Manager

Re: [cf-lattice] Announcing Lattice v0.2.5

James Bayer
i'm blown away by how much faster lattice is to initially start the first time with "vagrant up" with this release once you have the box downloaded. it's literally 1min2sec! wow, that's impressive team!

$ date; vagrant up --provider virtualbox; date
Thu Jun  4 08:20:15 PDT 2015
Bringing machine 'default' up with 'virtualbox' provider...
==> default: Importing base box 'lattice/ubuntu-trusty-64'...
==> default: Matching MAC address for NAT networking...
==> default: Checking if box 'lattice/ubuntu-trusty-64' is up to date...
==> default: Setting the name of the VM: lattice_default_1433431225546_34391
==> default: Clearing any previously set network interfaces...
==> default: Preparing network interfaces based on configuration...
    default: Adapter 1: nat
    default: Adapter 2: hostonly
==> default: Forwarding ports...
    default: 22 => 2222 (adapter 1)
==> default: Booting VM...
==> default: Waiting for machine to boot. This may take a few minutes...
    default: SSH address: 127.0.0.1:2222
    default: SSH username: vagrant
    default: SSH auth method: private key
    default: Warning: Connection timeout. Retrying...
    default:
    default: Vagrant insecure key detected. Vagrant will automatically replace
    default: this with a newly generated keypair for better security.
    default:
    default: Inserting generated public key within guest...
    default: Removing insecure key from the guest if its present...
    default: Key inserted! Disconnecting and reconnecting using new SSH key...
==> default: Machine booted and ready!
==> default: Checking for guest additions in VM...
==> default: Configuring and enabling network interfaces...
==> default: Mounting shared folders...
    default: /vagrant => /Users/jamesbayer/workspace/lattice
==> default: Running provisioner: shell...
    default: Running: inline script
==> default: stdin: is not a tty
==> default: mkdir: created directory ‘/var/lattice’
==> default: mkdir: created directory ‘/var/lattice/setup’
==> default: Running provisioner: shell...
    default: Running: inline script
==> default: stdin: is not a tty
==> default: Running provisioner: shell...
    default: Running: /var/folders/mt/0903tr2j54q4261kl9x_j5cr0000gp/T/vagrant-shell20150604-32490-lynays
==> default: stdin: is not a tty
==> default: DONE!
==> default: Installing Lattice (v0.2.5) - Brain
==> default: Finished Installing Lattice Brain (v0.2.5)!
==> default: consul stop/waiting
==> default: bootstrap stop/waiting
==> default: Installing Lattice (v0.2.5) - Lattice Cell
==> default: bootstrap start/running
==> default: Finished Installing Lattice Cell (v0.2.5)!
==> default: Running provisioner: shell...
    default: Running: inline script
==> default: stdin: is not a tty
==> default: Lattice is now installed and running. You may target it with the Lattice cli via: ltc target 192.168.11.11.xip.io
Thu Jun  4 08:21:17 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 3:27 PM, Marco Nicosia <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thank you,

James Bayer

Re: [cf-lattice] Announcing Lattice v0.2.5

Juan Pablo Genovese
Fantastic! Thank you for all the work, guys!

Mis mejores deseos,
Best wishes,
Meilleurs vœux,

Juan Pablo